Wednesday, 15 April 2015

Trials & Tribulations

Not much to report from last week. I had a great flat lesson with Assistant on Tuesday, then fluttered off to Costa Rica for a friend's wedding.  Not as much fun as you might think - consider the 9 hours on a plane + 5 hour bus ride there AND back. Hoo rah rah. Also ended up getting Montezuma's Revenge the day after we arrived, so most of my trip was miserable.  But, the wedding was very pretty, and the wildlife was pretty cool.  Here are a few photos for posterity:

Creeptacular Crocodiles

Pretty pretty sunsets

 
Monkeys. Everywhere. And yes they really do eat bananas.


Now on to the reason anyone ever reads this: horse stuff.

After I got back, the Assistant procured a few horses for us to try out.  So yesterday, we toddled out to a nearby barn and tried two.

The first was a 6yo gelding that had been jumping around the 1.10s and 1.20s a bit.  He was cute, but fresh and fairly spooky.  He basically landed and bucked and crowhopped after every jump. He had an okay jump, but I wasn't super into him. Nonetheless I hopped on and we jumped around a bit and he bucked and it was fine and all, until I headed toward a 3' vertical we'd jumped three times already, saw the short one, and he saw the long one, and neither of us reeeeealllllyyyy did enough about it, and he went SCRAWK and proceeded to tangle himself up in the jump and send me into spectacular flight with a rather splat-tastic landing.

We almost got it on video but sadly the camera was pointed elsewhere, so all we have are sounds. Whoopsie.

Trainer was all, "ha ha zat was ze wrong stride! You just sit for a minute ok..." and then the Assistant hopped on and jumped him around a little, then I got back on and finished jumping, and it was fine, but not exactly the best trial, you know?

I mean, the horse wasn't for me anyway, but talk about injury to insult.

The barest hints of the start of a spectacular bruise.
This was last night, you should see it today!


Trial Pony #1

Trial pony jumps while I cling on

Next up was a five year old mare. Assistant hopped on her first and, despite being advertised as a casual very cheerful amateur horse without spook, proceeded to lose it at an open door, then spooked at all the jumps as she went past them.  Trainer gives me a look and goes, "do not get excited about zis one, not gonna work..." to which I breathed a sigh of relief because I really didn't want to ride her after seeing that.

DAMN YOU UNO FOR NOT VETTING. Still melancholic.  The whole "hee I bought a halter and now it's sitting in my tack locker at the barn reminding me of him every time I see it thing" probably isn't helping either.

SOOOOOOOB
COME BACK TO ME

After that some shit happened that I can't get into, since not even everyone in the barn knows yet, but suffice it to say I spent the next year and a half in a very bad mood.  So, I got a little drunk with my barn people and spent some time chillin' with Riley, who is always good for a pick-me-up, and spent a good hour doing his best to curl up in my lap while I sat with him in his stall.

"Water u doin down there?"

 

Hallo bonjour I am Riley and the most handsome

At that point I was deep into the pits of depression and had been crying all day, more or less (which really had zero to do at all with being flung off the equine earlier, though it didn't HELP) and had about thirteen powwows with Trainer, Barn Owner, Barn Manager, and my favorite of favorites, my Florida fwend who also works at the barn who provided alcoholic beverages. (#adulting!!!!)  I had no plans whatsoever of riding. But then Barn Manager was like, narrows eyes, YOU WILL RIDE YOUR HORSE AND YOU WILL FEEL BETTER.

So I rode him and she was right.

He is my light when all is dark.

Unfortunately the bad carried into today, when I got a phone call from my aunt telling me my grandpa has terminal cancer, and about 1-2 weeks to live.

Beyond that, someone tried Riley today and they're pretty sure they're going to lease him. So I will be officially horseless coming up quite shortly here, and I have no idea what I'll do without my perfect little Riley bean, who is, besides my amazing and unbelievably supportive and kind boyfriend, the only real stable thing in my life right now. That includes ALL THINGS BARN RELATED. Why can't there ever just NOT be drama?

But enough depressingness for one day.  I'll leave you with this adorable photo of Riley right after he got clipped. He looks like a real boy again!





5 comments:

  1. So many virtual hugs as I'm nowhere near you to offer real ones. I'm so sorry to hear that things have really hit the fan.
    Hopefully this means all the good is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barn drama is the worst. It's supposed to be your happy place and when it's not, everything is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sorry things aren't going well right now - wishing you the best of luck! it might be bittersweet right now, but at least having Uno set such a high barn means you know better than to settle on something that's not quite right... cold comfort, i know... but good luck all the same !

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about the stress and drama! That can definitely taint barn time! I hope things start looking up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. The right horse will come along. Keep looking and try not to get too frustrated.

    ReplyDelete