Sunday, 11 January 2015

The December 10 which is now the January 10... shh don't tell.

I just love this picture of Riley. #cantgetenough

1. What size horse do you prefer to ride? I'm really not particularly picky. With my height, I fit okay on a lot of different sizes. However, it seems like I gravitate toward the 16.0-16.2h range for my own personal horses! I used to ride Morgans, though, and a lot of them were tiny. I never felt weird about it.

2. Do you school in tall boots or half chaps and paddock boots? Half chaps and paddock boots. Tall boots are so expensive that I refuse to get them all nastyfied at the barn every day. Plus I think paddock boots and half chaps are way more comfortable, and I get to save the stick of the field boots for the show ring!

3. What do you do with your ribbons after shows? If they're lucky, they eventually make it home. The special ribbons are dragged by yours truly around the house and hung in prominent locations, but the everyday "hey, I got a sixth!" ribbons tend to spend some time in my tack trunk, eventually make it to my locker at the barn, then sit in my car's backseat until I get around to cleaning out my car. I used to care a lot more, but it's way more about the experience and success than the ribbon itself for me. Although I will say when we were second in our Mini Prix, that ribbon definitely got hung in a place of honor!

4. Do you ride/board at a large show barn or a small private barn? Bearing in mind that a place like Heritage has, like, 200 horses or something insane, I would say our barn is smallish to medium.  It's a show barn without a doubt, but at most we have 30 stalls and of those, maybe 20 are actively showing. Last summer I think the most horses we had at a show was 16, and that seemed like a lot!

5. Have you ever seen a horse give birth? Yup, I worked at a training farm that also did its own breeding for awhile. I saw quite a few births. It's interesting and also kind of gross.

6. What is your favorite breed? Morgans will always be my first love, but with my foray into jumper land I now have a deep love for the KWPNs (Dutch Warmbloods.)  Both of my boys are KWPN. I also respect the Selle Francais breed a great deal and admire a lot of horses of that breed.

7. Favorite tack brand? Butet! XOXOXO. I use Dy'on for strap goods but remain relatively unimpressed by their leather quality. I used Arc de Triomphe for some time but they stretch so much it's hard to stick with them.

8. Would you ever buy used tack? Of course! I'm always trying to find good deals on tack, but on the other hand, I have pretty particular tastes... and if there's something I really, really want I'm willing to pay for it. 

9. Ever been on a carriage ride? Yes, several times! Magical!

10. How often do you go to the tack store? I try to go as little as possible, since that's where money goes to die.  In winter I might go once or twice if I actually *need* an item, and in summer more often since I'm at the shows and am forever forgetting or requiring little items like tack cleaner/conditioner, hairnets, gloves, a new helmet, boots, breeches, a show shirt, a new coat, a new girth, a pretty new saddle pad, horsie treats.... etc. As you can see? DANGEROUS.

7 comments:

  1. Love reading everyone's answers to these awesome questionnaires that L creates.
    I lol'd at your reply to the last question "where money goes to die" - priceless *thumbsup*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! I love these questionnaires, she does a nice job with them.

      Delete
  2. That picture was and is still fabulous :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha - tack stores = 'where money goes to die' - i love it, so true!! love the pic of riley too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is too true! Thank you! :D

      Delete
  4. Wow this formatted really badly. Oh well....

    ReplyDelete