Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Year in Review: A look back at show season

Now that the outdoor show season is officially at an end, it's time for a look back.

My 2014 show goals included:
- Jump the 1.0m jumpers
- Jump the 1.10m jumpers consistently
- Do a 1.15m or two
- If everything goes swimmingly and Riley can handle it, do the 1.20m
- Ride with consistency
- Sit better over bigger jumps

I didn't hit all of my goals, and the year definitely didn't exactly go as planned.  But I hit some goals, and as horse people, we always have to improvise.


I made a lot of mistakes...


And I had to buy two new helmets because of them...

 
(my feels on that whole mess)

But I did a lot of things right, too.




I got some impressive bruises.



Despite not jumping the height I wanted to jump this year, I still made a few forays into the 1.10m ring, which at the time was very, very scary.


We looked good doing it, too.


I was (and am!) fortunate enough to train with one of my riding idols, something I am grateful for every single day. I learn so much from him and continue to be in awe of his talent. 

~Paparazzi~ shot

I can honestly say that I tried my best every time I showed up. Some days it went better than others, but I always tried.


Some days I was really scared, but I did it anyway, because that's what you have to do.


Some days, after the failures, it was all I could do to continue, because I wondered if I would ever grow beyond the sum of my failings.  But I do continue, because I know if I work hard enough, I will achieve my goals.  


As time goes on, I'm realizing that even though you want the progression to be fast, that doesn't mean it will be.  But as long as you're moving in the right direction, that's all that matters. 


Having said all this, I am extremely hopeful that the seeds I planted this year, in terms of a riding foundation, sprout and grow into a big, beautiful flower next year and in the years to follow.  My riding is definitely better than it was in May... palpably so. And that is something to be proud of!


And now, I'm looking forward to a winter of riding lessons, some Mise en Selle (French for no-stirrups torture, a term coined by Trainer) and, hopefully, a foray or two to Florida for WEF.  And also a vacation. Because I'm tired.



8 comments:

  1. Wow! You accomplished a ton this year - congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You accomplished a lot and have much to be proud of this year!! Cheers to a successful season :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You accomplished so many of your goals and did it in style! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on an awesome season- very inspiring :) !! and i'll be right there with ya for the no stirrups thing, but sadly only living vicariously for WEF lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WEF WEF WEF! Go when I go!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, you have a LOT to be proud of this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much to be proud of, if i could do half the things you do I'd be made.
    Courage ma belle, tu y arriveras ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!! I totally know how it feels to set goals and then go on a long detour, it kinda sucks while it's happening but you put so much effort into your riding that regardless of how long and obnoxious the detour is, you'll for sure reach your goals. Onward to next season! :)

    ReplyDelete