Sunday, 26 October 2014

October's 10 Q

The past few days have been... ugh, a tornado from hell, let's say, starting with a terrible lesson where I even managed to get my saintly horse to stop and dump me into a jump and only proving to get worse with some heavy personal stuff that I won't go into. Result, I'm feeling completely terrible. But there's nothing like not thinking about your problems to get your mind off your problems... right?

puppies say "mummy tis fine, we curl up next to u and sleep off all probs"

L over at Viva Carlos does the monthly ten questions, so I am unabashedly participating because I like questionnaires. Funsicles.

1. How many pairs of breeches/jods do you own? 
Pause for thought.  About 13, but: two of those are for showing only (and one pair is far too large at this point, so not even wearable) and of the remainder I actually wear nine of them with any regularity, and of those, there are only about four that are appropriate for lessons and fancy riding, and the others are craptacular (but wonderful) schooling breeches that fit very oddly and I can't tuck anything into them because I have to roll down the waist. Great for summer hacking though.  Of the remaining... I'm actively attempting to sell three pairs, and will hopefully sell more once I slowly replace my current gigantic breeches with breeches that fit. But I'm too poor right now.

2. How many horses have you ridden?
Dear god. A trillion? Potentially more than a trillion? I used to keep track, way back when I was a young'un but not so much now.  I used to catch ride on the Morgan and Arab circuits, and literally rode everything in every barn I've ever been in (small exception being this one, but I'm on my way!) so uh... if I had to guess, north of 300, and that's a conservative guess.

3. How many trainers have you had?
Tricksy question; including all trainers at all barns it would be nine. But... my first barn had one trainer (left due to distance), my second barn had one trainer (left due to him being evil), my third barn had three trainers (left due to moving to Canada), and my current barn has gone through four (one head trainer was let go for ~reasons~ resulting in a new head trainer, and then assistant was let go this fall for ~reasons~ resulting in a new assistant).  I'm not much of a trainer hopper - all that started quite literally 20 years ago.

4. How many barns have you ridden at? 
My first barn + trainer in one location, then she moved and I went with her, stayed there for about a year but it was a looooong commute.
My second barn was my house! Not a long commute.
My third barn was a boarding barn about a mile up the road from my house - I actually rode my horse there when we dropped her off, haha.  My house didn't have an indoor arena, so I kept my show horse there in the winters so I could actually do something.  The ponies stayed at home though.
My fourth barn was a big training barn, and home to my second trainer, though that didn't last very long. About three months. We, uh, didn't get along very well.
Which led to my fifth barn, which had no trainer either, but lots of my friends boarded there.
From there I eventually took my horse back to my parents', then I got a job at a big training barn out of state, with three amazing trainers literally the best in the nation at what they did.
So I moved there, and stayed for... I dunno, three years I guess? Loved it there, they were amazing.
But then my BF asked me to move to Canada, so I did, and had to find a new barn; it was decent timing since I had just sold my horse.
Then I moved to the barn I'm currently with!
So a total of 7.

5. What is the name of the horse you consider yourself to have the greatest bond with?
Ria.

6. What is your favorite show name you've ever encountered?
I really love the name Girl on Fire. There's a chestnut jumper mare on my circuit with that name and it is just so beautifully appropriate.

7. What do you consider your greatest weakness or flaw in riding?
My fear, anxiety, and overthinking. I wish I were ballsier and didn't overanalyze everything to death.

8. What do you consider to be your greatest strength?
My work ethic. I'm willing to work as hard and as long as it takes. I also believe I'm a good and teachable student.

9. Have you ever leased a horse?
Yes, Slappy, Riley, Ruckus, and Denver.

10. What is the name of the first horse you rode?
There were horses I rode before I really started ~riding~, like at a fair or on a trail ride or something. But the first horse I rode 4 realz was a chestnut Arabian gelding named Royal. I was totally and unabashedly obsessed with him for a really long time!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear life is being shitacular *hugs*
    Hope it picks up soon & that you didn't hurt yourself in your tumble.
    Loved reading you answers to the questionnaire, thanks for sharing ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry things have been crappy - hope it gets better soon!

    love the 10 questions tho - and am right there with ya on #7 & 8... also - didn't know you did so much with arabs! would love to hear more at some point

    ReplyDelete